Unfortunately, I wiped the the installation and went with another solution to meet our testing deadline but here's the last image I took before wiping trying to access the local OpenDJ instance:
I tried following the instructions to change the authentication mode back to the default but I ran into a few issues until eventually wiping. First, I needed to pass the useSSL flag and change the port number to the 1636 which was different in the FAQ documentation. I couldn't get pass the invalid credentials prompt even though it was a direct copy and paste of the initial password I used during setup and testing.
Either way, looking forward to your feedback. We may consider GLUU in the future if the other solution doesn't pan out and we can get pass those hurdles.
Thanks for the support!